[Stackless] Pickling Microthreads

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 19:18:50 CEST 2005

Hello Christian:

--- Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:

> First of all, can you tell me which uthread module
> you are using? There is more than one around.

I am using the uthread.py found at:
http://willware.net:8080/uthread.py

AF> That said, I am new to Stackless... I am still
AF> figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of using
AF> the uthread library and higher level tasklets
AF> and channels for achieving my goals. So far, I
AF> am having success with tasklets and channels.

> I think trying to do basic stuff with tasklets
> is quite helpful to get a feeling.

Right now I am simulating WS-BPEL's synchronization
mechanism with channels and it seems to be working.
So I am happy :-) Previously I tried it with uthreads
and that worked too.

>I was never too happy with uthreads, because it
>pulls a lot of problematic issues in, again, which
>I avoided by not using real threads. I recently wrote
> a big system using tasklets and channels with no
> automatic scheduling, and it works just great.
> Maybe I should report on that and write an article.

That would be neat. The impression I have so far,
is that uthreads is a lower level Stackless library
for building mechanisms that cannot be built, or
incur too much overhead, using tasklets and channels.

AF> It would help beginners if there was documentation
AF> describing the relationship between the uthread
AF> library and tasklets/channels.

> Absolutely. Let's start, please sendme the url of
> your uthread version.

Thanks for your help. As I learn more, I would
be happy to report what I figured out in the Wiki.

Cheers,
Andrew