[Stackless] Pickling Microthreads

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Sep 13 14:18:53 CEST 2005

Hi Andrew,

> The problem is that I currently do not know enough
> about microthreads and pickling to know whether
> something is broken or I did something wrong.I tried
> dumping the contents, but I did not get the similar
> result as when I dumped a tasklet (I thought
> uthreads would need a custom pickler for this to
> work). I guess I could gain insights by looking at
> tasklet's code although it would be easier if someone
> had the answer :-)

Sorry about that, I'm a bit low on time due to the PyPy
project. I promise to do better :-)

First of all, can you tell me which uthread module
you are using? There is more than one around.
If it is an implementation based upon tasklets/channels,
I see no reason why it shouldn't be pickleable,
unless it hapens to capture some object that I still
fail to support.

> That said, I am new to Stackless... I am still
> figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of using
> the uthread library and higher level tasklets
> and channels for achieving my goals. So far, I
> am having success with tasklets and channels.

I think trying to do basic stuff with tasklets
is quite helpful to get a feeling. I was never
too happy with uthreads, because it pulls a lot
of problematic issues in, again, which I avoided
by not using real threads. I recently wrote a big
system using tasklets and channels with no automatic
scheduling, and it works just great.
Maybe I should report on that and write an article.

> It would help beginners if there was documentation
> describing the relationship between the uthread
> library and tasklets/channels.

Absolutely. Let's start, please sendme the url of
your uthread version.

ciao - chris