[Stackless] Mixing os threads and stackless

Lars Immisch lars at ibp.de
Wed Apr 26 13:58:22 CEST 2006

Hi,

>>> I don't *think* you'd get much advantage with this as the python
>>> global interpreter lock will block all threads while another is
>>> executing so you might as well run a single thread with all your
>>> tasklets in it?
>
>> Why would the PGIL block all threads?
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong but afaik the PGIL only allows one thread to be
> executing python code ( or C code called from python that hasn't
> explicitly released the PGIL ) at any one time?

You are correct. The GIL only allows one thread to be executing *python
code*, in the sense of: interpreting python bytecode, instead of:
calling a library function that calls out to C underneath (and releases
the GIL).

But this is a subtle distinction that requires understanding what is
implemented in terms of C functions and what isn't.

Now, if anyone mixes OS threads and tasklets, s/he should have that
understanding or go acquire it.

- Lars