[Stackless] Mixing os threads and stackless

Johan Carlsson johanc at easypublisher.com
Wed Apr 26 15:04:40 CEST 2006

Lars Immisch wrote:

> You are correct. The GIL only allows one thread to be executing *python
> code*, in the sense of: interpreting python bytecode, instead of:
> calling a library function that calls out to C underneath (and releases
> the GIL).
>
> But this is a subtle distinction that requires understanding what is
> implemented in terms of C functions and what isn't.
>
> Now, if anyone mixes OS threads and tasklets, s/he should have that
> understanding or go acquire it.

That's the kind of understanding I'm seeking here :-)

But at the moment I'm confused. So I hope you guys can help me get this
right.

Maybe I'm confused by what "only thread executing *python code* at once"
means?
To me this means that two threads can't run python code (from the same
interpretor) on separate CPUs at the same time.
On a single processor (at least in my mind) no code (python nor c) can
run in at once!!?

--

Johan Carlsson
Colliberty

tel: +46-8-31 24 94
mob: +46-70-558 25 24
mail: johanc at easypublisher.com
web: http://www.easypublisher.com

Base Ad:
http://basecamphq.com/?referrer=colliberty
If your not already using it, start us it NOW.
(and remember to say colliberty when you join up :-)