[Stackless] 2.5b3 has been merged into SVN trunk

Jeff Senn senn at maya.com
Thu Aug 24 15:08:16 CEST 2006

On Aug 24, 2006, at 4:00 AM, Richard Tew wrote:

>> It is essentially loosening a constraint that only allowed
>> stackless.run
>> to be called from the first(main) thread.  I have an application
>> where
>> I need to .run from another thread (since the first thread needs
>> to be
>> dedicated to a OS event loop). I've tried it and it seems to work.
>>
>> The restriction was not there in the 2.4.2 stackless.  Seems to have
>> been
>> added in .3, and I'm not sure why.... perhaps someone (Christian?)
>> remembers? or are there old CVS logs somewhere we can look at?
>> If it was only added to be conservative I'd like to revert to
>> the 2.4.2 behavior... otherwise, if someone can demonstrate a
>> problem,
>> I'm highly motivated to get it solved...
>
> Can you browse the logs for CVS like you can for SVN?

Hm. Didn't know the old server was still running.

Yes, below I've included what appears to be the relevant comment.

I'm reading that Christian was not sure that
the "global interthread lock" was necessary --
which is, I believe, what we are discussing (it's the only thing
in the diff between that revision that he could be referring to).

I applaud the conservatism, but now I need the feature, so I'd like
to enable it.

Hm.  If it's more comfortable I could add some sort of stackless
module property
that controls the behavior so that someone would need to explicitly
turn it on...

Thoughts?

-Jas