[Stackless] 2.5b3 has been merged into SVN trunk

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 10:12:59 CEST 2006

On 8/21/06, Jeff Senn <senn at maya.com> wrote:
> On Aug 14, 2006, at 7:08 AM, Richard Tew wrote:
> > The known bugs at this time are:
> > - When the taskspeed.py test is run in release mode, channel / tasklet
> >   garbage collection causes a tasklet that has only ever been soft
> >   switched into, to be hard switched into so that the tasklet exit
> >   exception can be raised on it.
>
> How does this manifest? (I don't think I notice a problem on OS-X...
> or does that have something to do with my first patch below...)

It no longer happens for me with 2.5c1.  That's the second time
that changes to the core Python code have removed obvious bugs.
Although the first time I am convinced it was a bug with core Python
and this time that it is a possible bug with Stackless.

I will set aside some time to debug 2.5b3 again.

> I have a few patches (included below).
>
> I believe the first fixes some problem we were having a few weeks ago,
> but don't remember what...  It seems like safer code in any case.
>
> The second allows running the scheduler from other than the first thread
> (I don't really see any problem with this.  I.e. to me, the check seems
> overly conservative)

Can you provide reproducibility cases for both of these?  I am ambivalent
about checking in fixes which I do not understand.  And in any case,
I would like where possible (if there are reproducibility cases) to add them
to the unittests at the same time.  If you could separate the fixes and
incorporate the unittests that would be even better :)

> And the third adds a 'teststackless' to the makefile so I can remember
> how to run the stackless tests. :-)

Will add this, and merge it round the different branches before I continue
my work for the day :)

Thanks,