[Stackless] Compatibility?

Ethan Glasser-Camp glasse at cs.rpi.edu
Tue Aug 8 01:41:36 CEST 2006

Hi,

What's the current status of compatibility -- binary and otherwise --
between Stackless 2.4.3 and Python 2.4.3? It seems from the download
page that you advocate dropping in replacement DLLs on Windows
systems, so it must be pretty high. However, the only explicit notes I
can find on compatibility are [1] and [2]. [1] says that stack-slicing
causes problems but will be dropped in Stackless 3.0 and [2] says that
"Compatibility to existing stuff was never an issue for stackless",
which I think means "100% compatible". I see also that the Stackless
Python paper at [3] says that compatibility is a goal of stackless.

[1] http://www.stackless.com/pipermail/stackless/2003-June/000766.html
[2] http://www.stackless.com/pipermail/stackless/2006-March/001593.html
[3] http://www.stackless.com/spcpaper.htm

My understanding is that stackless is 100% compatible with code
written in pure Python, and that precompiled .pyc code is also 100%
compatible, but I'm not sure about C modules.

Ethan