[Stackless] Compatibility?

Ethan Glasser-Camp glasse at cs.rpi.edu
Wed Aug 9 06:11:04 CEST 2006

Richard Tew wrote:
> Yes, there are problems with C extensions.  But most C extensions
> I used are pretty straightforward and I have not experienced the
> problems myself.  I think it is to do with the stack switching and
> these extensions not being compatible with it and crashing
> because of it.  You should be able to find more relevant posts about
> these problems on the mailing list archives.

Thanks for the pointer. I think the thread you mean is:

http://www.stackless.com/pipermail/stackless/2003-February/000655.html

which says that "if you switch from an extension which relies on
variables being alive on the stack, you got a problem". But in order
for this to happen, C extension code has to call Python code that
switches tasklets to something that came in from outside the extension
code, so it is unlikely to cause compatibility issues.

I also see this thread from a few months ago:

http://www.stackless.com/pipermail/stackless/2006-May/001741.html

which seems to suggest that Stackless aims to be binary compatible,
and if it's not, people would like to make it be. Is that so?

Ethan