[Stackless] stackless for gumstix

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 10:06:57 CEST 2006

On 8/30/06, Jeff Senn <senn at maya.com> wrote:
> I've managed to build Stackless Python 2.4.3 (www.stackless.com)
> for my Gumstix (Xscale) board (www.gumstix.com).  Not a lot of testing
> yet, but it seems to basically work.

Does this mean the tasklet switching works?

> Stackless folks: It appears that for this device we might need
> a slightly modified version of the slp_switch stuff
> (switch_arm_thumb_gas
> but that is not compiled as a "thumb mode" function).  I took a stab
> at this...
> by simply removing the "thumb" and "thumb_func" from the thumb .s
> file...
> but does anyone have any real experience here? Is this likely to work?

I do not believe so.  I do not have real experience though.  Have you tried
and ruled out an inline version of the switch function?  Sylvain who was
recently getting it working for arm32 and the Zaurus had a version which
he posted a link to.

Arm support is looking like a right load of bother.  We need thumb
and non-thumb routines.  We need inline versions for those who can
use them, and possible two other versions with and without the frame
pointer for those who can't.

> Oh: and does anyone know the "right" way to add the stray compilation of
> the ASM file to the python/configure/build process? Richard, did you
> do this
> for your arm build? (Or did you just compile it by hand, like I'm
> doing?)

I added lines into the base Makefile, which is of course, only one step
from hand compilation.  The configure mumbo-jumbo was beyond the
amount of effort I was willing to put in.