[Stackless] stackless for gumstix

Jeff Senn senn at maya.com
Thu Aug 31 15:18:18 CEST 2006

[removed the gumstix cc]

On Aug 31, 2006, at 4:06 AM, Richard Tew wrote:

> On 8/30/06, Jeff Senn <senn at maya.com> wrote:
>> I've managed to build Stackless Python 2.4.3 (www.stackless.com)
>> for my Gumstix (Xscale) board (www.gumstix.com).  Not a lot of
>> testing
>> yet, but it seems to basically work.
>
> Does this mean the tasklet switching works?

Appears to. (taskspeed.py and softhard.py seem to run ok... haven't
tried much more than that).  I will probably get away with soft switches
for my app in any case.

> Have you tried
> and ruled out an inline version of the switch function?  Sylvain
> who was
> recently getting it working for arm32 and the Zaurus had a version
> which
> he posted a link to.

Ah good idea. Tried his version.  Seems to work...
except I had to comment out "fp" in the save
registers after getting this error:

./Stackless/core/slp_transfer.c: In function `slp_transfer':
./Stackless/core/slp_transfer.c:150: error: fp cannot be used in asm
here

His arm32.patch looks pretty good for inclusion into SVN... if you're
willing.
It shouldn't break anyone else and would leave some bread-crumbs for the
next person who stumbles along.

>> Oh: and does anyone know the "right" way to add the stray
>> compilation of
>> the ASM file to the python/configure/build process? Richard, did you
>> do this
>> for your arm build? (Or did you just compile it by hand, like I'm
>> doing?)
>
> I added lines into the base Makefile, which is of course, only one
> step
> from hand compilation.  The configure mumbo-jumbo was beyond the
> amount of effort I was willing to put in.

Heh.  Me too.  Luckily if I use the inline version the question is moot.

-Jas