[Stackless] Compatibility?

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 11:33:12 CEST 2006

On 8/7/06, Ethan Glasser-Camp <glasse at cs.rpi.edu> wrote:
> What's the current status of compatibility -- binary and otherwise --
> between Stackless 2.4.3 and Python 2.4.3? It seems from the download
> page that you advocate dropping in replacement DLLs on Windows
> systems, so it must be pretty high. However, the only explicit notes I

> My understanding is that stackless is 100% compatible with code
> written in pure Python, and that precompiled .pyc code is also 100%
> compatible, but I'm not sure about C modules.

The changes that Stackless makes are just to reduce the stack usage,
and when needed, to switch the stack associated with given tasklets on
and off the stack memory area.  It is pure Python, but allows you to
optionally use tasklets and channels and the scheduler, it just works a
little differently in invisible ways internally to accomodate this.

So, there is no reason that anything that works with the standard
distribution, would not work with the Stackless dlls put in place.
As you can recompile the Python SVN source code for the 2.4 branch
and put the dlls from that into your older installed distribution, you
can do the same with Stackless 2.4 dlls, all having to be compiled
by Visual Studio 2003 of course.

Yes, there are problems with C extensions.  But most C extensions
I used are pretty straightforward and I have not experienced the
problems myself.  I think it is to do with the stack switching and
these extensions not being compatible with it and crashing
because of it.  You should be able to find more relevant posts about
these problems on the mailing list archives.

Hope this helps,