[Stackless] 2.5b3 has been merged into SVN trunk

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 10:00:16 CEST 2006

On 8/22/06, Jeff Senn <senn at maya.com> wrote:
> On Aug 22, 2006, at 4:12 AM, Richard Tew wrote:
>

> >> I believe the first fixes some problem we were having a few weeks
> >> ago,
> >> but don't remember what...  It seems like safer code in any case.
>
> The first one prevented an infinite recursion in tasklet destruction
> (clear --> kill --> clear...) which happened during the bug
> which is now gone...(I think it's the first one that "went away"
> with the core python changes) so I'm not sure how to reproduce.  I'm not
> sure it fixed the bug, but it at least made it clear (when debugging)
> where the problem was...  not vital in any case (as long as that bug
> doesn't come back :-) )

Right.  Will keep it in mind, in case it pops up again.

> For the second, I'm not sure what you want me to reproduce. :)
>
> It is essentially loosening a constraint that only allowed stackless.run
> to be called from the first(main) thread.  I have an application where
> I need to .run from another thread (since the first thread needs to be
> dedicated to a OS event loop). I've tried it and it seems to work.
>
> The restriction was not there in the 2.4.2 stackless.  Seems to have
> been
> added in .3, and I'm not sure why.... perhaps someone (Christian?)
> remembers? or are there old CVS logs somewhere we can look at?
> If it was only added to be conservative I'd like to revert to
> the 2.4.2 behavior... otherwise, if someone can demonstrate a problem,
> I'm highly motivated to get it solved...

Can you browse the logs for CVS like you can for SVN?
:pserver:anonymous at stackless.com:/home/cvs

The change may have occurred in:
slpdev/src/2.3/src
or
slpdev/src/2.3/dev

I can't tell if the CVS server is up, because the CCP firewall might
be blocking it.  But I cannot think of any reason why it wouldn't be.