[Stackless] Compiling Stackless on Mac OS X

Max Noel maxfnoel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 00:35:33 CEST 2006

Hello everyone,

I apologize for asking such a n00b's question, but googling around
didn't yield any canned answers to it. I figure if there's one, this
post will make it easier to find, and if there isn't, well, let's
create it ^^.

Anyway. I've been reading about Stackless for a while, and Grant
Olson's tutorial sold me on it: it appears to be an instance of
BestThingEver. I want to try it out. The problem is, I can't get it
to compile on my Mac.

svn checkout (from http://svn.python.org/projects/stackless/
Python-2.4.3/dev/) and configure (no flags) work fine, but the actual
compilation eventually fails with the following trace:

gcc -c -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-
fused-madd -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I./Include -
I./Stackless  -DPy_BUILD_CORE -fomit-frame-pointer -O2 -I. -o
Stackless/core/slp_transfer.o ./Stackless/core/slp_transfer.c
In file included from ./Stackless/platf/slp_platformselect.h:16,
                  from ./Stackless/core/slp_transfer.c:46:
./Stackless/platf/switch_ppc_macosx.h: In function ‘slp_switch’:
./Stackless/platf/switch_ppc_macosx.h:52: warning: passing argument 2
of ‘slp_cstack_new’ from incompatible pointer type
./Stackless/platf/switch_ppc_macosx.h: In function ‘slp_transfer’:
./Stackless/platf/switch_ppc_macosx.h:44: error: PIC register ‘r31’
clobbered in ‘asm’
make: *** [Stackless/core/slp_transfer.o] Error 1

My box is a dual G5 Power Mac running OS X 10.4.7, and I'm compiling
with the Apple-supplied GCC 4.0.1. "Regular" CPython 2.4.3 compiles
and works fine.

Has anyone had any success in compiling/running Stackless on OS X? If
so, what did I do wrong? If not, how can I help in getting it to work?

Thanks for your attention,
-- Max