[Stackless] Compiling modules under Stackless Python

Carlos Eduardo de Paula cedepaula at yahoo.com.br
Wed Jul 26 23:19:11 CEST 2006

Hello all,

I´m currently developingn an application based on pyQt4, the GUI library and using psyco to speed up the execution.

As needed I downloaded Mingw32 to compile some QT modules and thought adding some functionality of stackless into the app.

Some time ago, I asked why psyco didn´t worked on my stackless installation and Christian said I had to compile
the module under my current python dlls.

I got an explanation about how to compile python modules and did all steps. (guide below)

Then I installed the generated modules into my python tree overwriting the psyco modules i had but i still couldn´t
run an app with stackless using psyco.

I tryed to compile PyQT too under stackless DLL without success too.

I need to know if the steps i took are correct or if i´m doing anything wrong.

The steps different from the stated above is that I installed the Stackless files.

Best regards,

Carlos

Requirements for Windows

   1. Install Python >= 2.4 from http://www.python.org/ [http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/python-2.4.3.msi]
   2. Only needed if you compile from source: install the MinGW suite from http://mingw.sourceforge.net/ Be sure to install in the given order:
         1. MingGW (this installer downloads additional packages) [http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mingw/MinGW-5.0.2.exe]

Setup for Windows - compiling from source:

   1. Install check
      Be sure to have installed all required software listed above.
   2. Preparing Python for the MinGW compiler
      Search the file python24.dll in your windows folder. After you found it, launch MSYS. Change into the windows folder, for example cd c:\winnt\system32. Then execute pexports python24.dll > python24.def. Then use the dlltool with dlltool --dllname python24.dll --def python24.def --output-lib libpython24.a. The resulting library has to be placed in the same directory as python24.lib. (Should be the libs directory under your Python installation directory, for example c:\Python24\Libs\.)
   3. Generate and execute the installer
      Close the MSYS application (by typing exit) and open a DOS command prompt. Change to the X directory and run:

        python setup.py sdist --manifest-only

      to create the MANIFEST file and:

        python setup.py build -c mingw32 bdist_wininst

      to build a binary installer.
      This generates a binary installer dist\X.win32-py2.4.exe which you just have to execute.