[Stackless] Considering stackless, vs Python 2.5

Cristiano Paris frodo at theshire.org
Mon Jun 26 10:40:55 CEST 2006

stackless at kaishaku.org wrote:
> This new python feature seems particularly interesting for one thing:
>
>   http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/pep-342.html
>
> What major benefits does stackless provide over python in light of
> python 2.5's extended generator support, ie coroutines.

The new generator interface/implementation will mimic that of Stackless
with send() being much like schedule().

Yet, Python 2.5's generators cannot be serialized to disk through
pickling, while Stackless' tasklets can.

For me, this is a major advantage of Stackless over Python 2.5, making
it even more powerful than Ruby's continuations. Indeed, this allows you
to save the current state of your system and recover it at a later time.

Anyhow, if you don't care about serializing, I think generators will
work just fine.

Cristiano