[Stackless] Memory footprint for tasklets and channels

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Mar 17 00:15:08 CET 2006

On Mar 16, 2006, at 2:40 PM, Johan Carlsson wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm new to Stackless (even though I've been lurking around the website
> for a year or so. The Python 2.4 release got my attention.)
>
> I've recently been looking in to Erlang for it's micro-threading (for
> one thing) but abandoned that idea due to the awkwardness of the
> language. I will not be able to maintain anything I might (with a
> hugh amount of luck) have produced. So I've dropped that, as least
> as a language (might want use the database though).

Mnesia and Erlang are definitely quite interesting.. but I definitely
have problems thinking in Erlang syntax and paradigms.  There's also
the practical problems with the implementation, like no compact way
to represent strings.

> Anyway, to the question:
>
> How much memory footprint does the different parts of Stackless take.
> E.g. a Tasklet, a Channel, the Scheduler and any queues etc...

Not much more than any other object in Python.

> Is there a limit for how many of this thing you can create other than
> memory? I'm assuming a halted tasklet doesn't consume any processor
> power at all.

There isn't any limit, and tasklets certainly don't consume anything
but RAM when they're not running (how could they?).

-bob