[Stackless] Mixing os threads and stackless

Johan Carlsson johanc at easypublisher.com
Tue May 2 07:49:12 CEST 2006

Christian Tismer wrote:
> Lars Immisch wrote:
>
>> A stackless tasklet is *not* an OS thread, and all tasklets share a
>> single C stack.
>
> This is not true for Stackless 3.1. You can have tasklets
> controlling a real thread. It's limited but it works.

Hi Chris,
What are the limits?

Also, part of what I'm after is to have a separate set
of tasklets in each thread which would progress independent
of each other. The reason for this is to be able to
group tasklets that belong to separate services together,
being able to start and stop them.

This would also give services equal priority, so that
the tasklets don't have to be prioritized manually to
get tasklets of an important service to run at a even phase.

(I'm going to have one service that will have a lot of
tasklets, but which should run with a lower priority,
compared to network service for instance).

Also, all service will run their tasklets in cooperative mode.
As I've understood (by trial-and-error) pre-emptive scheduling
of tasklets can only be done in the main thread!?

Would this be possible, or would it be better to build
a management framework for grouping and prioritizing
tasklets that run in a single thread?

Cheers,
Johan

--

Johan Carlsson
Colliberty

tel: +46-8-31 24 94
mob: +46-70-558 25 24
mail: johanc at easypublisher.com
web: http://www.easypublisher.com

Base Ad:
http://basecamphq.com/?referrer=colliberty
If your not already using it, start us it NOW.
(and remember to say colliberty when you join up :-)