[Stackless] endian issues pickling tasklets

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Fri Nov 3 11:26:31 CET 2006

Richard Tew wrote:
> On 11/2/06, John Tantalo <john.tantalo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you know which part of the pickled tasklet would be machine
>> dependent? Would the solution be as simple as converting the string to
>> a byte stream, identifying the dependent sections, and flipping the
>> words?
>
> No idea.  I imagine Christian is the only person who would know.
> I might take a look at it over the weekend if I get time.

There is no machine dependent part at all.

There is a possible non-issue with hard-switching.
No idea if I implemented this, but I planned to implement
pickling for hard-switched tasklets as well. This is not
a problem, since a hard-switched tasklet cannot be restarted
at all. This is for debugging and introspection uses, only.

In terms lf what can be unpickled and continued, pickles
should be machine independent, modulo oversights and
programming errors.
It is of course possible to create pickles which are hard
to restart, because many special modules might be involved.
There is nothing to be done about that, just try to make
sure that you have what you need on every platform.

ciao - chris