[Stackless] endian issues pickling tasklets

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 10:38:42 CET 2006

On 11/1/06, John Tantalo <john.tantalo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to resume pickled tasklets across different architectures
> (Intel, PPC, SPARC) and I'm running into a problem related to the
> endian-ness of the platforms. PPC to and from SPARC works fine,
> because they are all big endian, but I can't resume any pickled
> tasklets on Intel because it is little endian. Is this a known bug?
> Are there any workarounds? I'm using Python 2.4.3 Stackless 3.1b3
> 060516 on each platform.

Not so much a known bug, but rather expected behaviour I would
think.  As such, I do not know of any workarounds.  In fact this is
the first time I have heard someone mentioning experiencing it.

My experience with how this pickling is implemented is limited only
to debugging pickling problems when porting to later versions of
Python, so I do not know enough to have any idea how to fix this
or to work around it.

But if you have any ideas or want to come up with a patch, it
would be appreciated.