[Stackless] asyncore/chat or stackless

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 17:23:16 CEST 2006

Hello Count :

>handle.  It must be ultra scalable, supporting
>upwards of thousands of concurrent connections.  For
>such a task, would stackless be better
>than Python's asyncore/asynchat modules?  If so, why?

As previously pointed out, it is not a case of
Stackless better than asyncore/asynchat. Networking is
not a part of Stackless. From what I have seen,
asynchronous networking solutions are typically used
with Stackless because of the nature of Stackless's
concurrency model.

>You might want to look at Twisted, which already has
>the SMTP protocol implemented. The callback based
>coding style doesn't always feel natural, but it's
>proven to be robust and scalable and it implements
>the protocol you're dealing with. The code would
>almost certainly be short with Twisted.

I second Twisted. Twisted takes a more high level
approach to networking than asyncore/asynchat. I
haven't implemented SMTP but the HTTP server code is
relatively short. The key "trick" is to have the
callback and the Stackless tasklet (the term for a
thread) share channels.