[Stackless] Invitation to Present at PyCon 2007

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Oct 31 22:02:29 CET 2006

Jeff Rush wrote:

> The abstract above is good - totally avoid presenting on *how* Stackless is
> implemented (it's only a 30-min timeslot after all), but focus on *why*
> Stackless is useful.  In particular center the presentation by first
> identifying problems that Stackless is good for.  I've seen talks, on other
> topics, where the speaker couldn't identify a benefit of his tech, used
> examples with objects given meaningless names like A and B, but oh man was it
> cool to play with.  The audience oohed and awed, talked about it for a few
> days, and forgot about it.

I like that abstract very much, too, makes very much sense.

At the same time, I would like to talk about the recent development,
the changes in general thinking and how they influenced the
reimplementation of Stackless in PyPy.
Without demanding a deeper understanding about PyPy, but from
the Stackless point of view ("how hard are the rules in this
set of paradigms, can I live with that?"), it is interesting
to see which design decisions are implementation specific
and which are inherently necessary.
This survey gives a deeper insight about the essence of
Stackless.

I'm not trying to be too technical. I want to tell about
what I've learned myself during integration with PyPy, and
this has changed myself a lot.

So yes, it is a bit theoretical for people who think they
know a little about Stackless: I will tell them how to
think broader, and there are many ways to implement certain
things. Astonishingly, the way I'm presenting is able
to unify different concepts, and users can pick what they like.
This is very new and unpreceded, it was only possible using
the freedom of the PyPy framkework.

But this is no PyPy talk, it is a crucial Stackless talk.

I have no clue at which conference to put such a talk, if not
at PyCon?

about to finish a proposal unless you say "forget it" - chris