[Stackless] PyPy Stackless (was: Re: Invitation to Present at PyCon 2007)

Jeff Senn senn at maya.com
Tue Oct 31 15:04:37 CET 2006

On Oct 31, 2006, at 8:39 AM, Richard Tew wrote:

> On 10/31/06, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:
>> I was thinking about the new stackless implementation in
>> PyPy, and to explain the similarities and how it differs.
>
> This is a talk I would love to see if I were attending PyCon.  If
> you go ahead with it Christian, I hope you PyPy lot film it like
> you did pretty much everything else last year :-)

Ditto!!

So... This talk of PyPy reminds me of an issue which I've
been meaning to ask about...

One of the things it looks like we will be living with for
the foreseeable future is multi-core architectures for
processors.  (While I believe the future probably
holds a return to physical memory more tightly bound
to a processor, I think that will take another round
of basic tech to get there)  In the meantime there is a bit of a
dilemma about Python.  Python is not so good at taking
advantage of a multi-core architecture (the dreaded
"global interpreter lock".)

And for Stackless this is even worse -- we are tempted
to think something along the lines of: wow! you mean
I can build a program that has essentially the structure
of an OS, and I can do it in Python! Great!... well you
can but it won't take advantage of simultaneous threading...
bummer!

Is this issue on the PyPy radar?  Is there a plan?
Is it "just going to work"?

-Jas