[Stackless] Invitation to Present at PyCon 2007

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Tue Oct 31 17:20:18 CET 2006

Richard Tew:
> On 10/31/06, Andrew Dalke <dalke at dalkescientific.com> wrote:
>> Would something like the following be good?
>>    - stackless does lightweight threading
>>    - some fundamentals
>>    - using stackless for boss/worker model
>>        - maybe implement a turing machine?  MARS/Redcode from the
>> 1980s?
>>            something with a model and with visualization of the model
>>    - doing stackless I/O
>>    - .. maybe something workflow related?
>
> What you say in the follow up mail, getting people to understand
> the base reason why stackless is interesting, as I see the
> above covering, seems to me to be a great topic.  I think you should
> go for it.

How's this for an abstract?

Stackless Python is modified version of CPython with support for
tasklets; also called microthreads, fibers or green threads.  Tasklets
are an additional way to implement multithreading but with much
lower overhead than system threads.  They take fewer system resources
so a Stackless environment may have tens of thousands of active tasklets
instead of at most a few hundred threads.  Context switching and
inter-tasklet communication via "channels" are fast, making Stackless
a useful platform for developing dense multitasking systems.

The talk is meant for a intermediate level Python programmer who
had heard about Stackless and wants to know why and when people
use it.  I will cover the basics of the Stackless API: starting
tasklets, exchanging data and participating in its default
collaborative scheduler.  I'll show how to implement a standard
boss/worker architecture then expand that to handle a simulation
environment with a UI interface.  I'll demonstrate how to use
Stackless and an asynchronous I/O library to emulate blocking
function calls so that existing blocking code works with Stackless'
default collaborative scheduler.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com