[Stackless] asyncore/chat or stackless for SMTP server?

Count László de Almásy calmasy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 21:04:46 CEST 2006

Greetings,

I'm still trying to wrap my head fully around stackless, so bear with
me if this is a dumb question.  Basically, I'm being tasked to write a
simple SMTP proxy for my company for incoming mail that answers on
port 25, performs some rudimentary anti-spam checks, and then forwards
the connection along to the "real" SMTP server, which may either be
running on the same machine under a different port, or on different
host's port 25.  The idea is that this will be the application that
has direct exposure to the Internet, reject as much obvious spam mail
as possible, and then let the rest through for the real SMTP server to
handle.  It must be ultra scalable, supporting upwards of thousands of
concurrent connections.  For such a task, would stackless be better
than Python's asyncore/asynchat modules?  If so, why?

Thanks.