[Stackless] An idea for making Stackless more naturally usable

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 15:07:06 CEST 2006

On 9/5/06, Andrew Dalke <dalke at dalkescientific.com> wrote:
> Max Noel:
> > I think it'd be worth a try. The great unknown here, is how the
> > standard library will behave once this change is implemented.
>
> My hope would be to minimize those differences.  Some are rather
> hard to fix though, like waitpid.  Spawn off a system thread for
> each one?  Or emulate by adding a NOBLOCK along with some sort
> of sleep(0.1) or so?
> One thought I had is to monkey-patch plus use a threading.local
> so
> Thus an OS thread can run with near-native performance and
> with no chance of emulation errors.

I think that this monkeypatching emulation should not be used
if it is not comprehensive enough to just be used reliably.  I do
not think it is necessary to cater for the case of avoiding
emulation errors.

How the standard lib would behave when this change is
implemented should be just as it did before, but as Andrew's
example socket script showed, things would just be
usable in parallel.  If it were any other way, then the
job would not have been done right.