[Stackless] Stackless 2.5.1 on Windows Vista

Carlos Eduardo de Paula carlosedp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 18:08:40 CEST 2007

I found out the problem with test_pep352 and test_platform errors...

On test_pep352, the original exception_hierarchy.txt file inside
Lib/test doesnt contain TaskletError exception. It needs to be
distributed with the compiled stackless version.

On test_platform, the module platform.py inside Lib has a small change
aroung line 1097. The platform.py needs to be distributed along with
copy_reg.py and pickle.py.

The bzip2 problem may be related to VS7 and VS8 compatibility... i
will compile stackless with VS7 at home and check this...

Carlos

On 4/17/07, Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/17/07, Carlos Eduardo de Paula <carlosedp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yesterday night I compiled Stackless on my home computer. I just
> > installed Vista on it and VisualC++ 2005 Express with its patches and
> > latest Platform SDK R2.
> >
> > Everything compiled OK, I installed the stock Python 2.5.1c1
> > distribution and then substituted the original files with the
> > stackless ones.
> >
> > Running the tests I found out that test_bz2 crashes on Vista when
> > using the Stackless DLL.
> >
> > With the stock DLL everything went fine, then I grabbed bzip2 sources
> > and compiled the bz2 module myself generating the .pyd. With this,
> > test_bz2 ran perfectly.
>
> Isn't the mainline Python distribution compiled with VS7?  In which
> case aren't there compatibility problems with extensions generated
> with VS8, or vice versa?  I would like to get a good reference
> explaining what kind of shenanigans goes on with this, to read.
>
> It may be that we need to build the extensions and distribute them
> with Stackless, or at least the problematic ones.  If this is a
> general binary incompatibility of bz2 compiled for mainline Python
> when used with Stackless.
>
> > I also had problems with test_platform, test_pep352 and
> > test_subprocess but i dont have the full error here. I also replaced
> > the DLL compiled on Vista with the one I compiled here at work (XP)
> > and the same problems happened.
>
> A Python installation cannot be converted to a Stackless one by just
> installing the dlls.  You must also copy across the relevant changes
> standard library files.
>
> These are gathered for your convenience and edification in the zipped
> prebuilt Windows Stackless build from stackless.com:
>
>  1. Download the zipped prebuilt Windows Stackless build from stackless.com.
>  2. Extract all but the dlls over your Python installation.
>  3. Use your own compiled Python dlls with the installation.
>
> At this point, the only tests which should error should be the
> subprocess one.  There should be two tests within it which error
> relating to universal newlines (as discussed on this list in the last
> couple of days).
>
> Hope this helps,
> Richard.

Visit Stackless Examples Project