[Stackless] why use twisted with stackless?

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 21:30:38 CEST 2007

Hello Alec:

>So I was really surprised to find all the posts
>about Twisted +  stackless because I feel like if
>anything they are competing models for async
>operations.

I see things differently. If anything, Stackless's
channels are very synchronous in nature. That said,
Stackless Python's model simplifies expressing
concurrency problems. Twisted provides a high level
networking framework. Twisted asynchronous model, with
a some work, complements Stackless. Besides Python
what both frameworks have in common is an attempt to
minimize the use of OS native threads. I feel if I can
make the two work correctly under a number of
conditions I encounter, I will have a killer
combination.

>So mostly I'm just looking for opinions - what does
>Twisted buy you? Why would I consider it?

Right now what Twisted is buying me is growing
pains...

Alec, I feel that if you wish to develop new network
applications or are developing network applications
independent of the traditional web server/dll/cgi
world, Twisted gives you much out of the box quickly.
There are enough challenges working on WS-BPEL
specific features. I don't want to worry about writing
stuff like Web servers, Web clients and low level
threads.