[Stackless] Stackless 2.5.1 on Windows Vista

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 14:31:33 CEST 2007

On 4/17/07, Carlos Eduardo de Paula <carlosedp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesterday night I compiled Stackless on my home computer. I just
> installed Vista on it and VisualC++ 2005 Express with its patches and
> latest Platform SDK R2.
>
> Everything compiled OK, I installed the stock Python 2.5.1c1
> distribution and then substituted the original files with the
> stackless ones.
>
> Running the tests I found out that test_bz2 crashes on Vista when
> using the Stackless DLL.
>
> With the stock DLL everything went fine, then I grabbed bzip2 sources
> and compiled the bz2 module myself generating the .pyd. With this,
> test_bz2 ran perfectly.

Isn't the mainline Python distribution compiled with VS7?  In which
case aren't there compatibility problems with extensions generated
with VS8, or vice versa?  I would like to get a good reference
explaining what kind of shenanigans goes on with this, to read.

It may be that we need to build the extensions and distribute them
with Stackless, or at least the problematic ones.  If this is a
general binary incompatibility of bz2 compiled for mainline Python
when used with Stackless.

> I also had problems with test_platform, test_pep352 and
> test_subprocess but i dont have the full error here. I also replaced
> the DLL compiled on Vista with the one I compiled here at work (XP)
> and the same problems happened.

A Python installation cannot be converted to a Stackless one by just
installing the dlls.  You must also copy across the relevant changes
standard library files.

These are gathered for your convenience and edification in the zipped
prebuilt Windows Stackless build from stackless.com:

 1. Download the zipped prebuilt Windows Stackless build from stackless.com.
 2. Extract all but the dlls over your Python installation.
 3. Use your own compiled Python dlls with the installation.

At this point, the only tests which should error should be the
subprocess one.  There should be two tests within it which error
relating to universal newlines (as discussed on this list in the last
couple of days).

Hope this helps,