[Stackless] timeouts on channels

Alec Flett alecf at flett.org
Thu Apr 12 01:33:52 CEST 2007

I've perused the list archives where folks have asked about timeouts in
channels - seems like there's nothing built into stackless, that instead you
need a watcher tasklet. I'm mainly trying  to emulate timeouts in
stacklesssocket.py.

A watcher thread won't be hard to implement, I just wanted to give my
feedback that I think this is unfortunate that this isn't built into
stackless.channel by default - because it seems like stackless could
accomplish this in a much lighter weight fashion with just a simple
parameter to receive() and/or send().

Or is the problem that the scheduler doesn't visit channels unless someone
initiates a connection on the other end? Hrm. Well anyway it would be nice
if everyone didn't have to write their own timeout watchdog because there
are certainly lots of pitfalls in getting that just right.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Hopefully I'll have timeout support in
stacklesssocket.py reasonably soon. :)

Alec