[Stackless] Cross compiling for the PPC

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 10:13:03 CEST 2007

On 4/10/07, Russell Tempero <rtemp00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently trying to get Stackless python to run on the CELL processor.
> The main core in the CELL is a power pc chip. I was wondering where to find
> information on cross compiling the stackless source code for the PPC
> processor.

Hi Russell,

For the port of Stackless to the Nintendo DS I used devkitPro,
specifically the ARM cross-compilation part of it.  You could look at
the PPC cross-compilation part of it.

devkitARM is set up to compile for the Nintendo DS, and I don't know
what sort of environment you would be cross-compiling for on the CELL,
so there might be a lot more involved.  In my case there was
console-like support available which already linked to stdout and so
forth, so even with out a posix environment, Python (the Stackless
code with Stackless disabled) pretty much directly compiled across
(after applying cross-compilation patches).  Enabling Stackless
involved fixing the hard switching assembler code.

devkitPro: http://www.devkitpro.org/
Cross-compilation Python patches:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=305470&aid=1597850&group_id=5470

There is already hard switching support for the PPC for the Mac and
Unix, but how compatible this is with whatever environment you are
working in, I do not know.  I also had the problem that gcc would
prevent the stack pointer from being modified for the DS, so had to
write a whole custom assembler function to do the hard switching.

Hope this helps,