[Stackless] Debugging stackless applications

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 00:39:31 CEST 2007

On 8/15/07, Arnar Birgisson <arnarbi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/15/07, Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone on the list care to step forward and write the support needed? :-)
>
> Exactly what is needed?

As I posted to Andrew Francis, it should be a straightforward matter
of adapting an existing debugger.  I imagine the hardest part for
someone who feels confident enough to work on the standard library
debuggers, is to just find the time and interest to sit down and do
the work required.

Any changes to the standard library functionality should of course be
backwards compatible.  So this may require a separate custom debugger
for Stackless, given that anyone debugging needs to be able to see and
deal with elements which are not present in normal Python.

> I know I saw a presentation at CCP where they showed a sort of shell
> around their game where they could mess with the internals through a
> GUI and a python shell, one part of that was a sort of debugger with
> overview of running tasklets etc. So part of it exists already.. just
> not freely licensed.

Yes, that is Jessica.  You can of course try and get CCP to release
the debugging part of it then spend an amount of time trying to put
your own UI in front of it.  Or you can spend what would probably
amount to a nights work adapting an existing debugger to handle the
different ways in which Stackless behaves/requires.