[Stackless] stackless python in a multicore environment

Chris Lee c.j.lee at tnw.utwente.nl
Fri Aug 24 09:45:58 CEST 2007

Hi Everyone,

I suspect that this question has come up before, but a search of the
archive revealed nothing so please forgive me if you are tired of answering.
Basically I need some hints on using python (or stackless python) on a
multi core CPU.
Let me give some details of the project:
I am running simulations on light traveling through a very disordered
medium. I do this using a ballistic approximation, which essentially
means that I assume the light consists of particles and then generate a
bunch of random numbers for each particle. I use the random numbers to
determine the path taken by the particle.

In practice, I simulate between 1e4 and 1e6 particles at a time taking
advantage of numpy and python to keep the code clean while still getting
good speed from a single CPU core. However, the simulations are becoming
more sophisticated and I would like to be able to take advantage of
multiple core CPUs and maybe even multiple computers.

My first attempt was a disaster. I used the threading module and simple
split the task into two threads. The interpreter put each thread on a
separate CPU and bus deadlock ensued (each CPU was trying to access
136*5e5 bytes of memory simultaneously).

I realized that I would need finer grained control over how the data was
apportioned between threads, but doing this using the python queue and
events starts to look a bit messy again. That was when I happened about
stackless python and tasklets. With tasklets I get the finegrained
control over data access that allows to me to ease the bus contention
... but all the tasklets run on a single core. Even if I take the
trouble to spawn python threads and the threads run method invokes a
tasklet, they all run on the same core.

Can someone give me some advice towards making use of multicores,
preferable with stackless--the code is sooo much nicer--but I'll take
any python based solution at this point.

Cheers
Chris

*  Chris Lee                                 *
*  Laser physics and nonlinear optics group  *
*  MESA+ Institute                           *
*  University of Twente                      *
*  Phone: ++31 (0)53 489 3968                *
*  fax: ++31 (0) 53 489 1102                 *