[Stackless] stacklessocket with threads, and stacklessfile

Alec Flett alecf at flett.org
Wed Aug 8 19:50:28 CEST 2007

Hey folks -
So we're using stacklessocket with an app that is somewhat CPU intense, but
also does I/O. We're trying to use stackless socket, but what we're actually
finding is that overall performance is suffering because of the somewhat
long wait time in the asynccore runner tasklet. (0.05) - if we block for
more than 0.05 seconds, this ends up wasting about 5% of of our CPU.

We can certainly play with that number to find out what's optimal for our
particular application, but I'm curious if anyone has thought about taking
the same approach that stacklessfile does of having a pool of worker threads
so that real hardware threads can go into a more effective blocking state?

And in that case, I wonder if some generalized socket/file replacement would
be even more helpful.

I'm especially curious how well the stacklessfile approach has worked for
people? Does it perform?

Alec