[Stackless] Importing PyGTK

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 15:39:01 CEST 2007

On 8/28/07, s.debellefon at libertysurf.fr <s.debellefon at libertysurf.fr> wrote:
> i still cannot manage to import pygtk into my freshly build
> stackless. After compiling pygtk from svn and setting

Hi Sebastian,

There is no reason that I can think of that this should not be
working.  There is a problem with pyqt, but that is because sip which
it is based on, is not compatible with Stackless without minor
changes.  As far as I can tell, pygtk is not based on sip.

Thing to try #1:

Recompile Stackless but define STACKLESS_OFF or edit
Stackless/stackless.h and change:

#define STACKLESS

#undef STACKLESS

Then when compiled, the Stackless code base should produce a normal
version of Python.  If the pygtk modules import then, then the problem
is with Stackless.  If they do not import with the same messages, then
the problem is with your setup.

Thing to try #2:

Did you compile it against the Stackless libs and headers, or against
the normal Python libs and headers?  If there is any chance you did
the latter, you could try against doing the former.

Thing to try #3:

Run Python with the debug and verbose options enabled, log the output,
and see if you can see anything in there which indicates why it might
not be finding, or just plain rejecting, the pygtk modules.

I would give this a shot myself, but I do not use Linux.  I can try it
on Windows, but I do not have the time to jump through the hoops
required to compile PyGTK in order to reproduce this fully.

Hope this helps,