[Stackless] Problems with Berkeley DB

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Mon Aug 6 15:30:56 CEST 2007

On Aug 6, 2007, at 12:50 PM, Ray Gallagher wrote:

> Hi Folks. Was wondering if you could help me... I
> tried the shelve package for the first time, trying to
> simplify loading and saving objects so I don't need to
> hook up databases and the like. Anyways, I get the
> following :
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "container.py", line 67, in <module>
>     startServer(Container(), 8000)
>   File "container.py", line 11, in __init__
>     self.serializer.load()
>   File "/home/ray/projects/gamma/serialize.py", line
> 11, in load
>     self.db = shelve.open("data.db", writeback=True)
>   File
> "/home/ray/tools/stackless-install//lib/python2.5/shelve.py",
> line 225, in open
>     return DbfilenameShelf(filename, flag, protocol,
> writeback)

Did you specify explicitly that you want bsddb, or did you
use a precompiled binary? In the latter case, BerkeleyDB
was probably installed and found when building the binary,
and it is now missing in your installation.

If you build your Stackless yourself, it will  detect that you have
no BerkeleyDB
installed, and use the proper implementation.

Alternatively, just install the appropriate package.
I di not try, but for instance on a Debian system, you might
use
aptitude install libdb4.5-dev
as root user.

cheers - chris