[Stackless] Stackless WSGI server

Seun Osewa seun.osewa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 03:15:37 CEST 2007

There are workarounds, but that's not really good enough.
One ends up losing the desired performance advantage.

I wrote a tiny web server using threads and using stackless,
and the threaded server was 20-25% faster for an hello world app.

A threaded server is more vulnerable to overloading by slow
clients, though, but the same methods used to tune Apache can
be used to tune a threaded (or multiprocess) python server.

For something like a chat server I guess Stackless will win,
because raw performance is not the issue there but the ability
to multiplex thousands of clients simultaneously.  Perhaps
Stackless is doomed to occupy a rather small server niche?

On 8/22/07, Tim Kientzle <tim at metaweb.com> wrote:
> a) You can do useful things without a database. ;-)
>
> b) There are workarounds.  You can, for example, have a separate process
> or thread that handles all database I/O asynchronously from the main
> server.  You can use the current stacklessfile implementation as a
> template for how to do this yourself.
>
> c) Rumor has it that there's a pure-Python MySQL driver in the works
> that should be pretty easily adaptable to non-blocking stackless operation:
>
>  From <http://mysql-python.blogspot.com/> for April 30, 2007:
> "Jess Balint of MySQL AB has written a pure Python MySQL driver that
> looks pretty functional. I'll have more on this in my next post..."
>

> Tim Kientzle
>
> Seun Osewa wrote:
> > Isn't a stackless WSGI server useless without non-blocking database
> > drivers (MySQL specifically)?
> >
> > On 8/22/07, Arnar Birgisson <arnarbi at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Sam,

> >> The stackless WSGI server should run wherever stackless runs.
> >>
> >> Arnar

Seun Osewa
http://www.nairaland.com [vast Nigerian forum]