[Stackless] stacklessocket with threads, and stacklessfile

Tim Kientzle tim at metaweb.com
Thu Aug 9 01:26:45 CEST 2007

Chris,

The problem with today's stacklesssocket is the I/O
pump tasklet that repeatedly calls select().
Remember that select() is itself a blocking system call,
so the I/O pump invokes it with a short timeout
so that other tasklets get serviced.

The application that Alec is working on has a mix of
computation tasklets and I/O tasklets and the current
stacklesssocket design causes the computation tasklets
to get stalled everytime select() gets called by the
I/O pump.

Our proposal: run the select() loop in a separate
thread so that the select() doesn't block all other
tasklets.

Does this make sense?

Tim Kientzle

P.S.  Using a select() alternative doesn't help.
poll(), epoll(), kqueue(), etc, all have exactly
the same problem.