[Stackless] OpenSSL problem Re: Stackless Digest, Vol 47, Issue 1

David Wyand TheHeadGnome at gnometech.com
Thu Dec 6 03:35:20 CET 2007

Hi Andrew.

>>There is a way to build extensions with the
>>freely-downloadable MS
>>compiler...though I haven't
>>done it recently...
>
>>Start here:
>>http://wiki.python.org/moin/Building_Python_with_the_free_MS_C_Toolkit
>
> Thanks for the information. I have finally gotten
> around to downloading Visual C++ Express. I am still
> having the same problems. I am going through the
> install instructions. Arrgh....

AFAIK the Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 doesn't exist any more and has
been replaced by Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.  This won't do what you
need it to ie: compile against the 7.1 libraries.

I ran into this very problem over the summer when I needed to make use of my
own libraries (a custom version of the Torque Network Library).  I recall
reading on the official Python lists people pleading to move the official
Windows distro over to VS2005 given that 2003 is no longer available.  So
we're not alone on this (and it isn't Stackless specific).

What I ended up doing was recompiling Stackless Python and Twisted under
VS2005 to make everything compatible.  I didn't make all Python modules
(such as ssl), only those that were relevant to my project (such as sqlite).
I found that converting the PCBuild solution to VS2005 worked better than
PCBuild8.

Something else to keep in mind if you go this route is you'll be tied to the
VS2005 C libraries (know as Microsoft.VC80) and any PC that doesn't have
VS2005 installed on it will need to have a copy of these.  There's a few
ways to deal with this, including a redistributable installer, although I've
not personally had to go down this path yet.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but at least you know you're not
alone. :o)

- Dave