[Stackless] OpenSSL problem Re: Stackless Digest, Vol 47, Issue 1

Lars Immisch lars at ibp.de
Thu Dec 6 11:41:26 CET 2007

> AFAIK the Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 doesn't exist any more and has
> been replaced by Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.  This won't do what you
> need it to ie: compile against the 7.1 libraries.

I have recently used cygwin and MinGW to compile Python extensions
linked against msvcr71.dll.

Unfortunately, this is a bit tricky to set up, because MinGW by default
links with msvcrt.dll, while python links with msvcr71.dll.

Mixing C runtimes is dangerous. Don't do it if memory is allocated in
one DLL is freed in another, or if you interchange FILE*, or...

There are a few workarounds published on the net. I edited the gcc spec
file to replace msvcrt.dll with msvcr71.dll and rebuilt libmoldname.a as
described in the pygame wiki:

http://www.pygame.org/wiki/PreparingMinGW?parent=MingW

Also, you need instruct distutils to use MinGW32. It can be done on the
commandline, as in:

setup.py build_ext --compiler=mingw32

Or edit $PYTHON\Lib\distutils\distutils.cfg to contain:

[build]
compiler=mingw32

- Lars