[Stackless] tracing stackless events Re: Stackless Digest, Vol 47, Issue 6

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 17:24:16 CET 2007

> From: Andrew Dalke <dalke at dalkescientific.com>
> Subject: [Stackless] tracing stackless events

> I'm most interested in are tasklet creation and
> destruction, context switches between tasklets,
>and channel send/receive.

Andrew, what you are doing sounds interesting. Excuse
me for forgetting the little Stackless internals I
know but what I would find super useful would be to
have a way to examine channels and running (schedule)
list to see what tasklets are eligible to be executed
next.

Another thing I think would be useful is if there was
documentation indicating exactly what states a tasklet
has - and an API call to query this.

Over the holidays I will resume looking at Stackless
code.

>    - I would like to assign a name and perhaps a
> group name or other  properties to the tasklet and
>channel.  That makes it easier to  debug.

I have written a channel class implements the
stackless channel interface, can take a name and
delegates methods to the underlying channel. I do this
to get around custom pickling hassles.

When I have time, I will take the same approach for
tasklets. What I would find useful is if I could
assign some notion of "process group" or parent.

Since this is special to what I am doing, I couldn't
recommend this be added to Stackless.

> For fun, try changing
>      result_ch.preference = 1
>      result_ch.preference = -1

I have played with channel preferences. I wish there
was better documentation on the algorithm. Again, this
is something I have to explore over the holidays after
I get other stuff out of the way.