[Stackless] The Future of Stackless

Travis Jensen travis.jensen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 03:18:14 CET 2007

Let me say, Stackless is awesome.  It takes a great language and moves into
the world of concurrency very nicely.

Unfortunately, Python doesn't play in the concurrent, multi-processor world
very well.  I'm in the architecture process for a massively multiplayer
game, and I love what Stackless Python offers for both the client and the
server.  I'm concerned, though, as I watch the number of cores increase
around me and I don't see anything happening in the Python world (including
Stackless) to address this.

So, this leads to my question:  Is there a vision for where Stackless is
going, or has it gotten there and is being maintained?  Is there any thought
of Stackless addressing the GIL-related issues of CPython?

I look at Stackless and see the possibility for a Python-based "Erlang", but
I also recognize that I'm not the one donating the time to make it happen.
I also understand that there are huge potential problems around the GIL that
have to be addressed as well.

This community seems to have the most invested in concurrent programming.
There are other projects, such as MP Python, but the Stackless model is SO
much cleaner for small tasks that fit so nicely in the game world.

Thoughts?  I'm really just trying to understand where Stackless is going, if
anywhere, but other interesting thoughts are always appreciated, including
pointing me in directions I might not have thought of.

Thanks.

tj

--
Travis Jensen
travis.jensen at gmail.com
http://cmssphere.blogspot.com/
Software Maven * Philosopher-in-Training * Avenged Nerd