[Stackless] The Future of Stackless

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Mon Dec 24 04:33:15 CET 2007

On Dec 24, 2007, at 3:18 AM, Travis Jensen wrote:
> So, this leads to my question:  Is there a vision for where
> Stackless is going, or has it gotten there and is being
> maintained?  Is there any thought of Stackless addressing the GIL-
> related issues of CPython?

Stackless tracks CPython.  CPython is not getting rid of the GIL so
therefore Stackless will always have the GIL.  Changing CPython to
get rid of the GIL is extremely hard, for technical and social reasons.

Christian Tismer has done a lot of work with PyPy, including support
for many of the things  he worked on for Stackless.  You can consider
that one possible future.  See for example:
   http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/stackless.html

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com