[Stackless] The Future of Stackless

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Fri Dec 28 01:27:46 CET 2007

Justin Tulloss wrote:
>> I look at Stackless and see the possibility for a Python-based
>> "Erlang", but I also recognize that I'm not the one donating the
>> time to make it happen.  I also understand that there are huge
>> potential problems around the GIL that have to be addressed as well.
>>

> I'm currently working on exactly this. I've taken stackless and am
> working on removing the GIL now, with the eventual goal of making
> stackless truly parallel. It is indeed a massive undertaking, as
> everybody has said earlier, and I don't claim to be working on it all
> that often. I'm working on it for credit this upcoming semester, but
> I'll probably stop after that. Check back in May; I'll post my results
> and if there's any code somebody else could continue hacking on.

Don't do it, I'd say. If it is for your thesis, then maybe,
but don't do it for Stackless.
As has been said before, this is a task for PyPy.

Stackless' development is not happening on CPython's trunk
anymore. This is mostly maintenance work, or back-porting from PyPy.

It is the goal of PyPy to make such massive undertakings feasible
and really doable.

I'd even go further and say: If somethings needs a month of work,
then don't do it for CPython any longer. It's time has come.

yes-it's-hard-to-wait-for-PyPy -- chris