[Stackless] rough PyCon'07 draft; feedback wanted

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Feb 15 06:57:15 CET 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 6:02 PM, Steve Holden wrote:
> ... and if it fits with your already-observed speaking abilities then
> you should feel free to ignore my concerns. It's quite possible I
> write
> denser slides than you.

This evening I experimented with a sort of slide-based
animation of how stackless works.  The 40+ slides are at

http://dalkescientific.com/StacklessPyCon2007-Dalke.pdf

I walk through

  =======
import stackless
def writeln(s):
     print s
stackless.tasklet(writeln)("Hello, PyCon 2007!")
stackless.run()
  =======
import stackless
def greet(s):
    print "Hello,", s
stackless.tasklet(greet)("A")
stackless.tasklet(greet)("B")
stackless.run()
  ========
import stackless
def greet(s):
    print "Hello,", s
    stackless.schedule()
    print "Goodbye", s
stackless.tasklet(greet)("A")
stackless.tasklet(greet)("B")
stackless.run()
  =======

Because it's a step-by-step description, some of the
slides might take only 10 seconds.  Not dense.

Next is describing channels.

I'm worried that I'm changing my idea of the target
audience.  What I just did is more for someone with a
vague idea of how to think about/visualize threads, and in
my talk I'm going to get to some pretty complicated
things.

Hmm... but not that worried.  It's not that long
and it'll get people oriented in the direction I'm going.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com