[Stackless] rough PyCon'07 draft; feedback wanted

Jeff Senn senn at maya.com
Tue Feb 13 14:42:06 CET 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 8:38 PM, Andrew Dalke wrote:

> It can replace your normal Python but I built mine to use "spython"
> XXX others use "stackless".  Preference?

I just replace the normal python -- I've had zero problems with that.
Although there have been a couple of obscure bugs on the stackless
branch that could have affected "normal" python execution... though
I believe (so far) all known such bugs have been fixed.

> XXX NOTE: known compilation problem on Intel Mac
>
> ./Stackless/platf/switch_x86_unix.h:37: error: PIC register 'ebx'
> clobbered in 'asm'
> built my version with
>
> ./configure --enable-universalsdk --enable-stacklessfewerregisters

Yeah...yeah... we should fix the default configure options... a "real"
OS-X person though will generally want to build the installer by using:

python Mac/BuildScript/build-installer.py

which has the options correct.

I'll try to correct the configure script...
(gah... I always feel like I'm trying to add some new card
to a giant, delicate house-of-cards every time I edit the configure
script...)

-Jas