[Stackless] rough PyCon'07 draft; feedback wanted

Stephan Diehl stephan.diehl at gmx.net
Tue Feb 13 14:09:59 CET 2007

Andrew Dalke wrote:
> Hi all,
>    Here's my rough draft for what I can/hope to talk about
> during PyCon.  It's rather long at 2441 lines.  It contains
> a lot of code.
>   According to http://us.pycon.org/apps07/talks/ (see #76),
> I have 45 minutes for my Stackless slot, so <=40 minutes to talk.
>    This has turned out to be the most difficult presentation
> I've had to do because of the length of the talk, because
> of my relative lack of experience with Stackless, and because
> I generated a lot of timing numbers and alternative approaches.
>    I'm sending it now for review and feedback.  Some
> specific questions are:
>    - what should I stress / deemphasize?  Are the examples
> interesting to people (eg, XML processing, format identification,
> handling blocking function calls and I/O)?
>    - am I missing something obvious?
>    - if people build a stackless binary do they usually call
>       that binary "python", "stackless", "spython" or something else?
>    - ???
>    I hope to have a version as a text article but as this draft took
> a few weeks of on-and-off work and thought, I can't make guarantees.
> There's still a lot of work for the slides for the conference in
> 10 days.

It's great to see some comprehensive article on stackless. Please
publish it on stackless.com.
I still haven't read everything -- it's just too long. Which brings me
just to the point: This is in no conceivable way a 40 minute talk. You
could probably fill a whole day with this stuff.
And still, I was missing the pickling as well. If there is the ONE
feature that only stackless can give you, it's function (tasklet) pickling.

just my 2c

Stackless mailing list
Stackless at stackless.com