[Stackless] Stackless / Networking

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Wed Feb 21 12:00:21 CET 2007

On 21.02.2007, at 02:24, Lloyd Weehuizen wrote:

> Hey Andrew
>
> On 21/02/2007, at 7:52 AM, Andrew Francis wrote:
>

>> I use Stackless for two reasons: 1) The pickling of
>> execution state greatless simplifies the design of my
>> application. 2) Stackless has an elegant concurrency
>> model. The light weight nature of tasklets is a bonus.
>> Regardless, I would argue that I were doing
>> complicated networking with Python, I would use
>> Twisted.
>
> How do you use pickling of execution state, I always thought this was
> a very neat feature, however I found it was not that useful in
> practice. For example in my application, tasklets do some work, then
> sleep for a number of minutes, wake and do some more processing. At
> application shutdown, I need to save the current state and then
> resume from that point once the application is re-launched.
> Originally I thought I could just pickle all active tasklets, but
> then what happens when you release an update? The tasklets resume in
> a different code base.

Oh really? What a tad.

> This has forced me to implement a more traditional tasklet state
> storage system.

I'm so sad to hear that!

In fact, I really think you should lower your expectations a little
bit, or you will never find a software that fits your needs.

Did you expect I would guess how your changed code works,
and adjust accordingly? Sorry, I'm too dumb for that. Please
tell me when  you achieved that. But I will eventually know,
since this is worh a Nobel price.

sorry that I can't be more polite - chris