[Stackless] rough PyCon'07 draft; feedback wanted

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Wed Feb 14 22:48:14 CET 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Andrew Francis wrote:
> If queue as asynchronous pipeline interests you,
> perhaps you should read the section in the "Pragmatic
> Programmer" by Andrew Hunt and Dave Thomas about loose
> coupling and blackboards.

It's only available in book form, right?  Not online?
I'll see if I can dig up a copy.

If it's what I think it was, I first heard those
sort of systems with Winograd's SHRDLU, or at least
in software of that era.  Looking now I see this in
a FAQ at http://www.gbbopen.org/index.html?FAQ.html&main

   * Aren't blackboard systems outdated by newer approaches, such
     as middleware technologies or multi-agent systems?

    The first blackboard-based applications were developed in
    the mid-1970s in conjunction with several ambitious and
    difficult AI applications. These applications demonstrated
    that blackboard systems provide an effective divide-and-conquer
    approach to the development and maintenance of large and
    complex software systems. The advantages of using a blackboard-
    based approach have not been diminished by more “modern”
    technologies, and blackboard systems are an important area
    in the space of collaborating-entity approaches (see the
    ILC'03 paper on this topic).

linked to http://dancorkill.home.comcast.net/pubs/ilc03.pdf

Anyway, what interests me is writing pipeline/data-flow code
as a Python script, like (this is not well thought out).

from pipline-library import *

img1 = LoadFile(url="http://example.com/lena.png")
img2 = LoadFile(url="http://example.com/mandrill.png")
  ..
merged = Montage([img1, img2, ..])
SaveFile("montag.png", merged.out_image)
run()

or something like that.  My hope would be that the code
looks like normal Python except that the code is lazy
and runs in parallel.

>> EuroPython in Vilnius, Lithuania this summer?
>> "Stackless and Twisted" sounds like a great talk.
>
> What's Lithuania like in summer time?

Probably similar to Latvia.

:)

Never been there.

   http://www.scandinavica.com/baltics.htm says
    How is the weather: wet and cool. Mild temperatures
    in summer (25°C) and freezing temperatures in winter.

Elsewhere:
   The best time to visit is May-September, when daytime
   temperatures are usually in the 70s F/20-25 C, with
   nights ranging 40-60 F/4-15 C.

And:
   Summer is the wettest season and cloudy skies are common.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com