[Stackless] Stackless / Networking

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Wed Feb 21 20:48:28 CET 2007

On 21.02.2007, at 03:13, Lloyd Weehuizen wrote:

> On 22/02/2007, at 12:00 AM, Christian Tismer wrote:
>

>> I'm so sad to hear that!
>>
>> In fact, I really think you should lower your expectations a little
>> bit, or you will never find a software that fits your needs.
>
> Christian, I did not post this message in complaint, quite on the
> contrary. I've found stackless to be most valuable and have
> encouraged many programmers to look into it. I'm sorry to have
> offended you, it was not my intention. I know there's absolutely no
> way stackless can get around my problem.
>
> Original post was mainly out of interest to hear how other people
> are using the tasklet pickling functionality as I'm interested to
> see it used in a real world code.

The sorry is on my side. It was late and something set me up.
Especially the fact that my talk
isn't yet ready ;-)

In fact, it would be possible to use the pickling to enable program
modifications.
It needs someone to dig into this. Actually the pickling is not so much
the problem, but writing an editor that allows to modify a program
and analyze
to what extent the current frame can be restarted or if it can at
least return
with some manually entered result value.
Once you have the pickle, it should be possible to patch a program,
for instance,
like that common case where it runs for ages and you have a bug in
the final
output.

Well, and that is another use of pickling:
Write a background process that takes snapshots of some tasklets
every some
minute and write it to disk, so out have an easy way to restart long-
running
computations, without modifying your program.
I admit it isn't totally trivial and I haven't done it yet, but with
careful handling
it should work using the watchdog timer of run().

Btw.: I'd like to hear about problems with pickling, do you have
situations
where it cannot do it?

cheers - chris