[Stackless] verify my performance numbers?

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Sat Jan 27 12:01:24 CET 2007

On Jan 27, 2007, at 7:57 AM, Max Noel wrote:
> Well, what initially drew me [...] actor-based programming. In other
> words, games ^^. Grant Olson's tutorial [1] is what made me see the
> light, and it's centered around that idea.

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out how to bring that into my talk.
It's not something I do.  I should review his tutorial again.

> I also think Stackless can be used successfully in the field of
> artificial life, or to implement an arbitrarily large neural network
> (Erlang is probably better for that task, however). Basically,
> anything where the "actors" metaphor makes sense.

I tried Conway's Game of Life, with each cell as a tasklet.  It
worked but it's overkill to do it that way as all actors are
identical.

I thought about the old Redcode/MARS game but that doesn't seem
appropriate.  Stackless is most useful if there's complicated
state/stacks and it's trivial to make a Redcode implementation
without that.

I helped in a couple of robots based games before.  Grant's
tutorial goes into much more depth doing just that.  It
just looks like it's complicated to explain.  Perhaps also
because I'm not used to that way of doing things.

Also because visualization has proved tricky.  I can't get
pygame to work on this Mac and I'm not sure how to show
the results of one of these.  PIL output converted to a movie?

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com